Annual Welding Scholarship
In an effort to revive the shortage of skilled trades' workers in their local community, VSM Abrasives Corporation has partnered with Saint Charles Community College (SCC) to provide an annual scholarship to two students, pursuing a career in the welding and fabricating fields. Through their nationally recognized welding program, graduates of the program will be able to:
- Safely & effectively use welding equipment
- Utilize various joining processes
- Read & interpret welding blueprints
- Demonstrate proper transport, setup, adjustment and use of equipment
- Properly utilize several welding processes
"We want to support our local community, while emphasizing the importance of manufacturing," said Rachel Krafft, Sales & Marketing Coordinator for VSM Abrasives Corporation. "This partnership provides the means to reach our objective."
The VSM Abrasives Welding Scholarship has already begun to help students realize their dream:
Noah, our 2019 scholarship recipient, said he had always liked working with his hands, which led him to consider welding as his career choice. By attending Saint Charles Community College, he hopes to one day become a welding inspector.
"The scholarship funds are a real blessing," Noah said. "Now, I will be able to get what I need for school and support my family."
Luke, our 2020 scholarship recipient, already had a full-time job in the welding industry but was looking to advance his career with an American Welding Society Certificate (also offered through Saint Charles Community College).
"I am very happy and thankful to receive the scholarship," Luke said. "It's really helpful to know other people are out there rooting for my success."
Recognizing the benefits this scholarship provides, VSM Abrasives Corporation plans to continue their support for years to come. If you are currently enrolled in the Saint Charles Community College welding program, you can apply for the Welding Scholarship at stchas.academicworks.com.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers, at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/production/welders-cutters-solderers-and-brazers.htm
- Economic Modeling Specialists International, The Demographic Drought, https://www.economicmodeling.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Demographic-Drought-V16.pdf.
- Economic Modeling Specialists International, Case Study: National Study Shows Welding Industry is Alive and Well, https://www.economicmodeling.com/2010/06/21/national-welding-center-and-welding-society-study-shows-industry-is-alive-and-well